URGENT: Counter the allegations of antisemitism – give your testimony

We urge our readers to respond to this appeal. Make sure your testimony is recorded and counted.

Labour Jews, Speak Up! A Call for Testimonies

The misnamed Campaign Against Antisemitism (CAA) has stated that its goal is the eviction of Jeremy Corbyn from public life.

To this end, the CAA has referred the Labour Party to the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) alleging ‘institutional antisemitism’.

The Chief Executive of the EHRC already stated in 2017 that Labour ‘must do more to establish that it is not a racist party’. She did so on the basis of hearsay that had not been investigated and in fact was false.

Notwithstanding its reckless and cavalier record on this issue, the EHRC’s judgement is likely to carry weight in public discussion.

The CAA is now soliciting testimonies from Labour Party members in support of its complaint.

The Time Is Now for the Silent Majority of Labour Jews to Stand Up and Be Counted!

Resist the Cynical Attack on the Labour Party!

Resist the Trivialisation and Instrumentalisation of Antisemitism!

Defend Our Party and Its Democratically Elected Leadership!

If you believe Labour is being misrepresented and traduced, now is the time to speak up.

We need your testimonies about your experiences in the Labour Party to submit to the EHRC.

Send them ASAP to: [email protected]

• Prof. Donald Sassoon says:

I have just sent this to the EHRC

I have been a (Jewish) member of the Labour Party since 1979 and have never heard any anti-semitic remarks. In fact I have never encountered anti-semitism. However, I have heard racist and Islamophobic remarks.

Best

Donald Sassoon
    Emeritus Professor of Comparative European History
    School of History
    Queen Mary, University of London
    London E1 4NS

• Diana Neslen says:

I do think that we should include our Labour party membership number if at all possible in any correspondence as there is nothing to stop anyone from sayiing that they are a Labour party member merely to traduce the party and its leader

• Norman Traub says:

I have been a member of the Labour Party since 2016. I have not encountered any anti-semitic remarks since my joining the party

• Alan Stein says:

I have never seen/heard any anti Semitism in the Labour party.

• Debra Parker says:

I have been a Labour Party members since Jeremy Corbyn became leader and I have never personally encountered any anti-semitism in the party. My membership number is L1398950.

• Sarah Stuart Baker says:

I am not a member of the Labour party but have voted Labour for a long time. I have been appalled at the hounding of Jeremy Cornyn.
    Personally I think the Labour Party should turn this around take the CAA to court for libel and defamation of character. It has been like a kangaroo court already and should be properly laid to rest.

• Teresa Steele says:

Wonderful, I only hope this helps to bring some semblance of order, it’s needed more than ever.

• rhoda says:

Although I have heard there is anti-Semitism in the Labour party, I have not met a Jewish member who has experienced any form of racism.

• P Whitney says:

I joined the Labour Party when Jeremy Corbyn became its leader, partly because I admired his known anti-racist position. I have neither seen nor heard any anti-Semitic remarks in the Party.

• Be aware people of the UK. There are those out there who would allow you to ridicule your government and ridicule the most powerful man in the world with impunity. However they would make it illegal for you to criticise the actions of the state of Israel!
    Don’t let them get away with it.
    Anti-Zionism is not anti-semitism

• Carole galbraith says:

I have been a member of the Labour Party in Burnley since 1979 and never heard or seen any antisemitic behaviour. I am not Jewish. I believe members were proud to have Louise Elman as Leader of the County Council and just thought of her as one of us – a socialist.

• Vaughan Melzer says:

I am not Jewish but throughout my membership of the LP and work within it, I have never ever heard any anti-Semitic or racist comment.
    LP Member: A382045

• Katrina Mayer says:

I responded as although I’m not a Labour party member I’ve always voted Labour and have worked alongside Labour party members in anti-racist activities

• Mike Scott says:

Hopefully all above (and below?) have already sent their views/experiences to the ECHR email address?

• Jon Grunewald says:

I have sent my testimony. But the key to all this is the definition of antisemitism. I’ve never seen any (apart from odd occasions on Facebook) based on my own understanding of what antisemitism is. Those who accept unquestioningly the IHRA examples will see antisemitism whenever someone draws attention to Israel’s racism and apartheid laws, or whenever they criticise the IDF without simultaneously criticising “other nations”, or whenever they suggest that the shooting of unarmed civilians is comparable to what the Nazis did, or say that Gaza is a sort of concentration camp. To me, that isn’t antisemitism. To some people it is. Certainly to the CAA, it is.

• Jon Grunewald says:

I do not believe that what he said can fairly be described as antisemitic – but several well known pundits (Daniel Finkelstein and Simon Hattenstone among them) believe that it was, and I really don’t think they have given it sufficient thought.

• Richard Kuper says:

Jon Grunewald: Try this letter in the Guardian (16th June) from 27 prominent Jewish academic and cultural figures : “We must define antisemitism to fight it effectively”

• W. Scott says:

I have never come across anti Semitism in the Labour party. The CAA is attempting to evict Jeremy Corbyn from politics and stop criticism of the Israeli Government. I am not Jewish but I am a member of the Labour Party.

• susan sassoon says:

I too have been a party member for many years. I have not encountered any antisemitism within the Labour Party. I did see Ed Miliband got at for being Jewish in the media and I was appalled. No one came to his rescue, I heard no outcry from the media, This organisation CAA, The BOD or anyone else. I do think a lot of this for some sections is concerned with Israel .

• Rick Hayward says:

I am not Jewish.

However, I was brought up in the immediate post-war era, when the horrors of the holocaust were burned into our consciousness. I am thus extremely sensitive to the politically motivated attempt to use that issue as a defensive cover for the indefensible. Pretended victimhood in this context isn’t pretty.

I have, however, been a member of the Labour Party for 30+ years. I have served as a branch secretary and as a ward councillor. Given the above, my antennae would have been very sensitive to any expressions of anti-semitsm.

In those years as a member of a broad-based party, I have predictably heard various prejudiced sentiments that have at times irritated me, annoyed me, insulted me and a few that have left me gob-smacked.

But I have *never* heard an expression of anti-semitism in that time. In fact, the most concerning issue has actually been the profound general ignorance about the present and historical situation in Palestine/Israel.

• su budge says:

Politics would be better without religion, any of them.
    Religion should stay in the temples for those that choose to have faith.
    I have witnessed all kinds of racism among certain groups of people, Labour is not one of them.

• Jim Denham says:

You sat “Counter the allegations of antisemitism – give your testimony”: how about I give you my examples of witnessing anti-Semitism within Labour and the TU movement: want to hear about that?

• I Have found nothing since being a Labour Party member over the past 2 years but an open accepting community. The allegations of racism have actual foundation, and this seems to be a heavy contrived slander against the party leader and the huge community of socialist supporters. As a socialist, it is not in our nature or agenda to discriminate against another community. If we look at the behaviour in the Tory party, where we find a huge amount of racial issues along with class division, I believe it is there where we should be paying concern. But as it is quite obvious to the majority, the tory lead media has created a campaign agains Labour and the socialist movement. Not acceptable and totally transparent.

• Bruno de Florence says:

As BAME officer (3 years) as well as LGBT officer (6 months) for Kensington Labour, I can categorically assert that I have never ever witnessed any derogatory remarks or gestures towards anyone whatosever, irrespective of their religion, ethnic origins or sexual orientation.

Bruno de Florence
    Kensington Labour

• Rick Hayward says:

(To Jim Denham)

I would indeed be interested in details.

Our main complaint is that most accusations to date have been exaggerated and fact-free.

Just as I have never seen antisemitism in the Labour Party myself, I have also never yet experienced a desire from those who shout ‘Antisemitism!’ to engage with the definitions, argument or evidence beyond repeating the shout.

• SANDRA CRAWFORD says:

I have never encountered any anti-Semitism , or any other form of racism at meetings of my local CLP or ward. I have however been subject to derogatory remarks from the right. It is known that I am left wing. However the vast majority of comrades are very respectful.

• Jim Denham says:

Just two for now (I leave aside what can be read on websites like Skwawkbox): in my CLP a “soft left” member who told me, recently, that the left has a particular problem with Jews (not “Zionists”) because of their dominance in finance capital; an aging Unite (ex-T&G) member and Morning Star supporter who, at a social event described people who weren’t buying rounds of drinks as “Jews” and when taken to task, started ranting about the crimes of Israel. I could mention more, but these two examples come immediately to mind.

• veronica says:

What is this obsession in the UK to globalise every issue – a herd think. My view. I am against nasty people and I am pro nice people – and I have to get over the abuses I have suffered in order to maintain my mental health. Yes my life and the lives of 12 million people were ruined – never heard people standing up for us. So to the Antisemitism protesters I say. Wind your necks in and start making a positive contribution to the kids in Yemen and other disadvantaged groups – like the Palestinians. That would show stature instead of whining.

• frank says:

Not seen the whole thing then. Or are you a troll?
    Because if you saw the whole thing. You would see it in context.

• Chris Proffitt says:

My sentiments completely. Well said.